Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ray Votaw A Writer Of History

In 1972 I began my drive to move my family to South Africa.  Early in 1966 I had focused on going to Australia.  Some things are not meant to be your direction.  Little did I know the direction I'd be taken in was to the Indian (India) population in Durban, South Africa. 

I'm sure my first efforts were filled with mistakes in understanding a different culture.  Finding guidance is essential to being useful in the lives of others.  Before I left the U.S. I received a book which let me know not to take the American Culture into my work.  Again, reading is essential, but  many questions still were present due to little experience. 

God hears when we are wondering in a desert whether it be physically, emotionally, or in a spiritual direction.  I think it was 1975 when I first met Ray Votaw.  Since the 50's Ray had worked among the different African tribes in South Africa.   Ray was filled with the knowledge of experience. While he had not worked much with the Indian population he understood his role.  It was to open doors not to control the doors.

 He had the gift of  listening to one with his mind in neutral.  I can not ever remember him telling me an answer to a question.  Rather he'd ask me a question which, when it sunk in, contained my answer.  All felt Ray could put himself on their level.  Opening the door to all to seek his knowledge gained in experience.   He touched lives many will never touch who want you to know how important they are in life.  Ray wrote history in the lives of many.  These today are continuing on in opening doors and not in controlling doors.  It's the old story applied ..... give a man a fish and he will eat for a day....teach him to fish and he will fead himself all his life.  Yea, I know, I stretched that saying.  Hendrix Morris knows what I'm saying.   Listed as a coloured, when I knew Hendrix, there was no difference between Ray and Hendrix.  Many a time I heard Ray ask Hendrix a question so Hendrix would give the answer to those around him.  Men who write history are often in the shadows, but history will never forget them.  We will lay Ray's body to rest on Saturday.  He's already at Rest with Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment