Thursday, January 5, 2012

Moving-or-Adventure?

For 71 years my dad lived on the same street where he met my mother.  Most from his generation remained in the same town as their birth.  From August, 1961 to December, 2011 I've lived in 8 locations.  These ranged from Tampa, Florida - Pine Mountain Valley, Georgia - Salem, Ohio - Akron, Ohio - Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa - Pinetown, Natal, South Africa - Athens, Alabama, USA - Birmingham, Alabama, USA.   In January, 2012 my family will move to Dahlonega, Georgia, USA.

I remember questioning one's sanity in living in -0 weather.  In August, 1966 my family moved to Salem Ohio.  -20 was the temperature several days in 1966-67.  South Africa?  I can remember the questions about that move.  How on earth will you talk to those people?  Oh, I got that several times. 
My point in all this rambling is life is a choice.  Actually I loved living in Ohio.  Loved the snow covered fields.  South Africa always amazed me.  Gail and I stopped at the tourist center in 1995 to ask how do you pronounce Dahlonega.  From someone I inherited the love of adventure.  I remember writing a report on Australia in the 4th grade.  I'll be 70, God willing, in July.  My daughter Julie, who knows me well, said "it's time for a new adventure."  Adventures in life do not have to involve moving.  That's not my point.  It's finding in one's life what makes one smile each day.  (Oh, I struggle with this as most.)  I have to remind myself each day---find the adventure.  In writing this I'm encouraging myself (I pray you as well) to live each day wanting to get up, for there is an adventure.  Retire?  If you mean slow down....might be good, but retire from finding adventures?  Boring!!!!  I remember sitting on the bed of a crippled 84 year old lady in Akron, Ohio.  I went to cheer HER up.  Every time I left seeing life bigger than when I arrived.  Granny saw life to be lived even though she could not get out of her house.  Each day was an adventure to be lived. That's according to Granny Young!  "Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day."  The body does wear out.  Unless the mind is affected by disease, God says our spirit/heart can continue looking for and enjoying adventures till death.  Granny Young kept finding adventures in encouraging others to live life each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment